Are You sure that your food is allergen-free?
People’s awareness of their health has improved and with that, more information is needed.
So far, the only effective therapy for food allergy is avoidance of causative food. This requires knowledge about food allergens and awareness of allergen-free foods.
Every third person* has allergy, however up to date there is not enough information about the allergens in food products. Therefore, it is necessary to develop trustworthy methods for allergen testing in food as well as understandable and qualitative labeling for foodstuffs.
Several acknowledged scientist are working together for that common goal in Estonia. The main partners of the project are University of Tartu, Tartu University Hospital, Estonian Food Industry Association, Icosagen Cell Factory OÜ, NAXO OÜ and more.
* World Allergy Organization, White Book on Allergy, 2011-2012
The aims and gain of the project are:
- To develop a method for the testing of allergens in food and food production equipment that caters for the needs of both the consumer and the manufacturer
- To make allergen-free food easier to spot thanks to high-quality labeling
- To identify the most common food allergens and the prevalence of food allergies in Estonian population
- To improve awareness of general population and food manufacturers about food allergy
- To develop common recommendations for the prevention of allergy
Trustworthy labeling is an indicator of reliable products!
Contact us at: allergofood [ät] ut.ee
Take a look at our presentations about the project: